International Relations Office
The Spanish healthcare system is ranked among the best in the world. As an International student studying at the Universidad de Navarra, you have certain access to the system.
Below you will find valuable information to help you throughout your stay.
Spanish healthcare consists of both private and public healthcare, with some hospitals (hospitales) and healthcare centres (centros de salud) offering both private (privado) and state healthcare services (asistencia sanitaria pública).
The Centros de Salud can be found in each neighbourhood in San Sebastian. If you need to go to a Centro de Salud, you must go the centre within the neighbourhood where you live.
You can take a prescription to any pharmacy (farmacia). Look for a shop with a large green cross sign outside.
- Registered pharmacists can provide health consultations and guidance on health matters such as cold and flu medicine recommendations.
- Most medicine is over the counter and priced relatively inexpensively. However, for prescription (receta) medicine you must have a prescription from a doctor.
Pharmacy opening hours
Pharmacies are usually open Monday to Friday from 9.30am to 2pm and 5pm to 9.30pm, and Saturdays 9.30am to 2pm.
There's usually a notice on the pharmacy window or door with show where the nearest 24-hour pharmacy (farmacia de guardia) is located.
Visiting the dentist
Dental treatment is not covered by the state healthcare system unless in an emergency. You must pay for dental treatment unless you have private health insurance. Find a dentist by looking in the phonebook or throught a personal recommendation. Just call up and make an appointment.
In a serious, life-threatening emergency, call the pan-European number 112 free of charge from any mobile/cell phone or landline. The Spanish word for A&E or ER is urgencias.
- Municipal Police: 092
- SOS: 112
- Civil Guard: 062 (From outside the Basque country)
Useful Spanish phrases in an emergency:
- Accident: Accidente
- Emergency: Emergencia/Urgencia
- I need an ambulance: Necesito una ambulancia
- I need a doctor: Necesito un médico
- Heart attack: Ataque cardiaco/Infarto
- Stroke: El accidente vascular cerebral
- I need a dentist: Necesito un dentista